Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Birthdays in China!

Maureen's Gym Friends!
This past Saturday was a dear friend of mine's 25th birthday party!  So what do you do in China to party?  You either drink heavily, go to KTV (Karaoke), or do both!  So Maureen opted for Pizza Hut, followed by Parking Lot Bar, and then finally KTV!  KTV becomes astronomically cheaper after 11.  So we met at pizza hut, there was a huge crowd of us.  15 people:  Some world teachers, 3 English speaking Chinese teachers, a random Chinese guy from Maureen's gym and his two friends.  Dinner was awkward, language barriers with the Chinese guys who didn't speak English.

Then to Parking Lot bar.  There was much laughing and joking.  I was taught many new words, and phrases.  Including one I am too shy to use because I don't understand it completely.
"为什么你吃我豆腐?” “吃报了吗?”  “吃慢慢”
"Why are you eating my tofu?"  "Have you had enough?'  "Eat slowly"
(I think it is like " why are you making fun of me"  but I am not sure.)  The man that taught me was quite drunk, he also taught me some Changshahua (Changsha local language).  Eat is Qiu instead of Chi.  He taught me "Ni yao ogai luo"  (What do you want).  Bill was very amusing!  Then to Foosball bar!  Then finally to KTV!

This was the icing on the cake!  Somewhere in between singing "Waka Waka" and "Party in the USA"  I realized that American's have it wrong.  You should only have to listen to people you know sing off key.  Private rooms for KTV are fantastic.  One of my friends was clever, bringing booze in from outside.  Hiding beer in his pants!  When I told my fellow teachers, they marveled about how amazingly clever he was.  It was amusing.  I left at 3:30am they were still partying!

The next morning I was kicking myself for making lunch plans.  But they ended up being most enjoyable!  May and Syvia took me to Hot Pot, taught me more Changshahua.  Hot pot is delicious, but I will never understand their obsession with putting hot dogs and spam in it!  Oh well.  Walking around Buxingjie was fun.  Seeing the people, with locals made it so much better.  Their English is good, they continue to strive to learn.  I have come to learn the desire to out weighs the gift to learn.

Syvia and Me on BuXingJie
May and I on BuXingJie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers