Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sports are an International Language

For those of you who are thinking of possibly moving to another country for a period of time, I recommend you pick up a sport!  Basketball, Soccer, Frisbee or something.  I have met so many people by just kicking around a ball on the field.  Or asking students if I can throw their basketball!  Today was a sports heavy day and it has given me the resolve to do something active everyday!  I feel so much more alive after I have been moving around!  Saturday was me grading, all day!  Going to get train tickets with a friend, and then grading!  I was so low energy and just down it was hard to motivate!  The next day I slept in and worked on my grades a bit more, then got my but together to go out to the field an hour before soccer was to start.  I was mostly looking for food, but I brought my frisbee!  I ate some spicy fried cauliflower!  Which was amazing!
Teresa's Frisbee Team's Captain Reddick

Teresa's Frisbee Friends!
But then I started wandering around, I tossed the frisbee with some students from my class before they ran off to lunch.  Then I shot some hoops with other students, then P Squat and I tossed the frisbee.  Two guys joined us and we taught them how to toss a frisbee.  Frisbee is not a common thing here I guess, no one seems to know how to throw it.  Except for Teresa's Frisbee crowd, who are oh so much fun!  And I love running into them around town.  But them Michaela, Roo, P Squat and I settled in to do some drills.  People were watching but wouldn't join.  So after a bit, Roo and I ran over and started a game with some of the soccer players at Yi Zhong!  Good fun was had by all.  I returned to work, with a fresh mind and hammered out one whole lesson plan and my power point!  Then I went back out to the field, met a man Liu Zhang (who I think is a teacher or possibly a soccer coach at Yi Zhong)  who kicked the ball around with me.  We were ganged by a group of adorable boys (around 7 to 10), who joined us and we played keep away and took turns taking shots.  Although this was fun I am worried I have put my self in a situation.  Liu said he wants to treat me to food next time we play!  So we will see what happens!

But the long of the short is, play sports.  Meet people!  It is fun, good for you and you don't need to communicate that well to understand they want to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers