Sunday, September 18, 2011

Of Swords and Dragons

Well this morning, which was really cool and pleasant (we are talking low 60s), I went to the wet market with Brittany!  Who pointed out many interesting veggies and told me how she cooks them.  Half the time there are no translation for the greens they eat in here in China.  We just don't even think about eating them!  But I decided to buy a Dragon Fruit!  Truly a delicious buy!  If you have never tried one and have the opportunity to buy one you should.  Without a doubt very interesting.  The wet market is a wondrous sight!  Veggies everywhere, half of them I don't even know what the hell they are.  Then you get to the meat section.  That is a bit horrifying.  Slabs of meat I can deal with, pigs feet I can deal with, dead plucked chickens with their heads still on and there feet still on, I can deal with.  Then you see the bags of live frogs, tanks of fish and cages of chickens and doves.  Huston we have a problem.

We saw a chicken being killed.  It was about that moment when I realized that Americans need to deal with it.  If we are going to eat meat we need to realize that meat comes from animals that are killed, sometimes in horrible ways.  But Brittany and I acknowledge that it was a bit horrifying but kept on walking.  I will be very desensitized to animals dying I think after this year.  But I bought some fresh veggies and feasted tonight on Jiaozi, corn and rice!  And what a feast it was.  No Oil!

I worked on some lesson plans and realized I left my markers in my office on the Yi-zhong campus, and I needed them.  So I went to Yi zhong, I came across the Frisbee crowd, still playing Frisbee!  This must have been 2 hours later, there were students dancing with swords.  It was amazing to see, so I ran back and got my camera!  I hope to see more of this, because it was frankly just totally bad ass.  Now it is very late and I must crash.  More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers