Wednesday, September 21, 2011

China I just Guanxi-ed you!

It has been a stressful week, everyone I told I was interested in going to Beijing, gave a sharp intake of breath and shook their head.  Tales of tickets being sold out even if you are the first to the window the day the go on sale... danced in my head.  The problem because worse the next day when I received a phone call from a friend who had to buy standing tickets!  13 hrs worth of standing... I cannot imagine.  I was afraid that would be me.  So I walked to find my liaison to ask for her help, she was gone, Teresa wasn't in yet.  So I turned to the English office.  I walked in and asked where I go to buy tickets.  When I explained where I was going I got the same sharp intake of breath and a shake of the head.

"The tickets are all sold"
"But they don't go on sale until tomo..."  I didn't even finish, they gave me a look.  I just smiled.  "Oh they don't go on sale officially"  They nodded.  Then Amanda asked me when I wanted to go, and how many tickets I needed.  And she called her friends and managed to find me 5 soft-sleeper tickets.  I wanted hard sleeper (because it is cheaper)  but I wasn't going to turn down any ticket that kept me from standing.  Tomorrow I pay her and get my tickets!  Now I need to do something very nice for her!  To thank her for helping me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers