Thursday, September 29, 2011

Crazy Spin Class and Sports Day

I bought a gym membership about 2 weeks ago.  799Yuan for 10 months, roughly $13 a month!  Not bad right?  They have a hip hop dance class, yoga class, belly dancing, spin class and of course a sauna.  Which I have ever intention of using in the winter.  But I still hadn't been to the gym once, they actually called me to ask if I would be coming, talk about pressure.  But Teresa and Marilyn were planning on going to spin class, I figured "eh why not, I don't want to lose my biking muscles."  So I went to the gym, I was completely unprepared for the disco extravaganza that awaited me.  I walked into the spin room, and had to bother the teacher to adjust a seat for me, all the bikes were so short!!  Then when the class was ready to start the lights went down and the blue Christmas lights started to flash in time with the pounding techno.  Our crazy Chinese instructor was bouncing up and down on her bike so energetic.  I will totally admit I could not keep up!  But I made it through class!  It was really really fun!  My favorite was for the fast portion she played a techno version of the William Tell Overture.  That kept going faster and faster.  I have never sweat so much in my life!  Fantastic class, made all the better by the mango smoothie afterwards.

I woke up the next day refreshed and ready for Sports Day!  My classes have been canceled for the next two days!  While the students do a giant track meet, all the Senior 1 classes will be competing against each other.  The Senior 2s will be competing against the other Senior 2 classes.  The Senior 3s are a part of the opening ceremony but they have to study for their Gao Kao!  So I woke up early and hit the track at 7:30 watching all the students get lined up!  It was impressive.  There are somewhere between 3,000 to 4,000 students at Yi Zhong!  Once the ceremony got started I was blown away, each class marched in lines past the platform where the administrators sat.  They marched in military form, all of the students wearing matching outfits.  Either their uniforms or a class shirt or sweatshirt!
Misty's class are holding flowers in the front, flags in the back
I cannot begin to describe how crazy this was, my classes when they walked past me would sneak in a wave here or there.  They then walked out on the soccer field and lined up.  Each of the 22 Senior 1 classes, the 21 Senior 2 classes and the 19 Senior 3 classes marched by.  Even though I did not know the Senior 2's they were really fun to watch as some of the classes had a class shirt.  One class all wore plaid shirts even the head teacher!  I have to say one of the things I like about the school here in China is the way they build team work by giving students one class that is their's for the whole time they are at the school.  So the classes get very close.  Misty (one of the head teachers and an English Teacher) came and stood by me.  She helped to translate some of the banners.  She proudly pointed out that her students were special.  They were holding some of the flags and flowers, instead of marching as a class.  There was another class with hers that had this honor.  Once all the of the classes had gone by they lined up on the field.  I have never seen anything that impressed me more.  Each Senior 1 class had a red flag with their class number on it, each Senior 2 class had a yellow flag with their class number on it, and each Senior 3 class had a blue flag with their class number on it.  Misty and I were laughing at the differences in attitude between the classes.  The nervous energy of the Senior 1s was palpable, they cared. They really tried to march in step, the Senior 2s were more ambivalent, a few classes were very proud and took this very seriously.  Finally the Senior 3s who did not care as they weren't allowed to race anyways!  A bit cruel making them be a part of the opening ceremony.  But once that was done, and some speeches were given the students parted to clear a spot on the field.  Then the students with swords did a demonstration of their karate, it was amazing.  Then a dance group took the field, they looked way to old to be students here, but they did some amazing hip hop.  Then everything dissolved and students went and found a place to sit.  For each event each class has one runner.  So many students get to hang out today and do nothing!  It was wonderful to see my students relaxing and taking a break for once.  Even the teachers were relaxing!  Amanda, the English Teacher who aided me in getting tickets to Beijing brought her youngest.
Misty, me and Amanda
I walked around saw my students, took hundreds of pictures!  It was nice to see so many happy people!  The students get two days for sports day and then a week off for National Week!  October 1st is China's version of the 4th of July!  After a lunch break I taught some students to throw a frisbee and taught them the basics of Ultimate!  They enjoyed it.  The second half of sports day was slightly muted by the arrival of some mist and light sprinkling.  Tomorrow I teach at my primary school in the morning, and then come back to run a teacher relay race tomorrow!!  Wish me Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers