Monday, September 19, 2011

Number Two Primary School!

Welcome American teach Patricia to our school!  Is what the full sign says.  I rolled out of bed at 6am and got myself all ready to go to the primary school for the first day today.  The opening ceremony where I was supposed to talk in front of the whole school was canceled due the the rain.  So I just spoke in front of the 6th graders I am going to teach.  They are all so cute!  Lucy, one of the English teachers came and picked me up from Yi Zhong and walked me there.  I love the school it is cute and it is one of the few elementary schools that does not have any dorms for students!  I gave a small speech, that consisted of my name, where I was from and that I was happy to be here.  Lucy didn't need to translate most of it.  Then the Head Mistress got up and spoke, she does not speak any English so this will be an interesting year.  I am the first foreign teacher this school has ever had, so no pressure or anything to be amazing!
Then I was given a tour and was allowed to take pictures of the classes that were going on.  The first graders in music class were so precious I could have sat there all day.  But Lucy was ready to get going.

The school is very interesting.  It is associated with the #1 Normal University of Hunan, where Maozedong went to school.  So on every floor there is a picture of Mao in various stages of his life with famous quotes. For example, "In being modest we move forward, with pride we do not progress"  (a bad translation on my part but you get the gist).  This school is also associated with Yi Zhong's rival school that apparently stole some students, so perhaps I am teaching at this primary school to help recruit for Yi Zhong?  Who knows!  Who cares.  The kids are cute.

So I went back home after my tour and finished up my plan for the day.  I left early and bought some oranges for the other teachers.  But forgot my poster with the rules so I wouldn't have write them.  Then my computer wouldn't hook up, so the power point I had stayed up late writing was useless.  But I managed to pull off an amusing lesson that I think all of the children understood.  Although one child has taken to hiding under his desk when I walk around so I won't call on him.  I feel terrible and have no idea what to do!  I will see if I can coax him out by speaking to him in Chinese.  Oh and here is the kicker, his name is Sam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers