Sunday, December 4, 2011

Paintings and Yoga

My dear friend Corra after two trips to Beijing to visit her boyfriend, was finally back in town.  She gently reminded me of this fact by e-mailing me, calling me twice yesterday, and then calling me again today.  Corra is a very nice, if a little over-zealous, woman I met in the park.  She is a yoga instructor, who is constantly fixing my posture.  She is very excited and energetic.  Her warm heart is evident in how she speaks to everyone and how she speaks about the people she knows.  She always reminds me she wants to help me if I need it.

She called me on my way to Starbucks to get some work done, to invite me to sing and dance in the park!  I turned her down, saying I had to work.  But invited her to lunch.  So at 11:30, I walked briskly back to Yi Zhong.  Ninja turtle hat bouncing.  I met her at the gate, and we walked off.  Hand in hand, she is really clingy.  She loves to hold my hand, hang on my arm and other things.  I don't mind, it is nice to have a friend who knows her way around Changsha!  So this time I took her to lunch.  I took her to a Hunan restaurant near my house.  The lady who owns this store was ecstatic to see me approaching with a Chinese person.  She immediately began to inform on me, I always come here and I always order the same thing: 白辣椒炒肉,茄子豆jiang(Not sure the character for that one)and 花菜!White Pepper fried meat, green beans and eggplant, and cauliflower.  With her usual sunny smile Corra cheerfully ordered some Tofu in addition to the white pepper meat and eggplant.  We sat and chatted, many people came through and asked questions about me to her.  Patiently and proudly she answered them.  Every so often when I could understand the thick Hunan accent I would answer, much to their surprise!!

Then something happened that surprised and pleased both Corra and myself.  One of the painters who owns a shop behind the restaurant asked if he could paint a picture of me!  He was going to take some pictures of me, with my permission, and paint a picture!  Corra and I agreed heartily!  We walked into their tiny shop, all three painters proudly showed off their paintings!  They were beautiful, some where oil paintings others were traditional ink and water paintings.  The kind men gave me tea, took my picture, asked me many many questions.  Then gave me a painting and a news paper clipping about them.  When the painting is done, they will e-mail me!

When people ask me, do you find China to be repressive.  I have to say no, in the day to day life you never feel the government.  It is just people living, and the people in China know how to live.  If you look foreign they are usually willing to help you out, and have such warm hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers