Monday, December 12, 2011

Overnight Hot Springs Trip for Teachers

I was speaking to the other teachers in my office, when they mentioned that this weekend there would be a hot springs trip for all the teachers.  I was invited as was Thomas.  It was a weekend for all the Senior 1 teachers (高一).  I gladly accepted, and Saturday morning I woke up, packed an overnight bag, including a swimsuit, and walked across the street and climbed on a bus.  I was sitting there alone, realizing that none of the teachers from my office were coming.  I was resigned to a slightly lonely but enjoyable weekend!  When an English teacher from another office came over and sat down.  "We were talking, they think I should sit with you so you don't get lonely!"  This is how thoughtful my fellow teachers are!  We spoke for a while, she asked me where I had been.  I asked her where she had been, she gave me some tips for where to go in China, and how to get there inexpensively!  I have to admit, probably one of the most useful conversations.
The countryside

The bus ride started in Changsha and drove for about 2 hours, for the first hour or so we were in the suburbs of Changsha.  Then we finally made it out to the country side, the bus had to pull over so people could go pee.  There was no bathroom, so all the male teachers laughing got off the bus.  Linda, the teacher next to me, saw a home just nearby.  So she got off the bus and went and asked if she could use their toilet.  After they saw her successfully get inside, the other women flooded off the bus.  Oh how I wish I had gone.  The last 20 minutes of this ride were torture!  We arrived at the place and got off the bus.  We were shuffled in for a spicy Hunan lunch.  The other English teachers sat near me to translate.  I got some of the conversation, not a whole lot.  But didn't feel left out.  I felt like I was part of the group!  I was offered wine, and said "Yes"  The whole table looked surprised, and out came the baijiu.  I blush and said.. "Oh no no.. uh Hongputaojiu"  they all looked a bit disappointed and gave me some of the wine that was going around.  Then the toasts began, the two teachers in charge toasted every table, and the men were pouring baijiu for each other, and pouring their baijiu in each others glasses.  It was very amusing.  Then we went back to the room while the Party members had a meeting.

Lisa and I watched some TV, I read about Thailand.  Then to the hot springs!  The hot springs was more like a water park.  There was a water slide, that was not in operation.  There was a heated wave pool that was extremely popular, then there were little pools.  The first pool we went in was scalding hot, as I yelped the teachers laughed.  Then I jumped in the swimming pool, which was not as heated.  I swam a quick length to the other side, when I surfaced people were staring at me.  An older man in the lane next to me said "Leng ma?"  "cold?"  "Tai leng"  I replied.  "Too cold."  Then I wandered around looking for the English teachers.  But was unable to find them.  Finally Lisa found me, and told me they had all gone to the fish room.  I stood up and followed her.  I walk in, there is a small pool where you sit, and little tiny fish eat the dead skin off your feet.  It was severely weird and ticklish!  I couldn't handle it for long.  I was then led to the salt room, where tons of white salt is lying about like sand.  You rub it all over your body, it "gets rid of germs".  Why not!  Then a rinse off and back in the hot water.  Then inside to the pool with jets for your aches and pains!  The showers were very gross, so Lisa and I decided to take a quick shower and shower again when we returned.

That evening we ate another spicy Hunan dinner, drank more wine, had more toasts.  Then headed to KTV (karaoke).  The KTV room was a small room with a projector, a screen, crazy disco lights and giant speakers.  The door didn't shut so well, so people kept slamming the door.  There was more toasting in here.  Bei Laoshi, a teacher from my office that speaks no English, toasted me.  Ganbei-ing me!  I drank my beer down and could see the respect glowing in his eyes!  When I looked at the beer, I tried not to laugh.  It was Budweiser.  They all sang old songs.  I sang Waka Waka, attemped to sing "Your Girlfriend"  and was talked into a duet of "My heart will go on."

We left early, and were getting cozy when I received a text message about the Lunar eclipse that was occurring right then!  So we bundled up again and headed outside, to watch the eclipse.  Then I saw something that I miss living in the city.  Stars!  I could see stars and planets.  On a clear day in Changsha maybe you can see Jupiter.  We were cold, so I taught them a circle dance while we waited.  Then after while we were forced to retreat indoors.
Don't know her name, me, lisa and linda

The next morning we woke to frost on the ground, we had a filling breakfast of porridge, baozi, and noodles.  Then a walk around the grounds.  Then back on the bus.  As we drove down the windy roads with our bus driver swerving around other cars blaring his horn, one of the teachers got car sick.  So the bus pulled over to take a break.  The teachers stormed off the bus and across the street to buy pork.  The area we were in is famous for pork!  Some other teachers headed to a farmers garden and bought some fresh out of the ground produce.
The farmer's fields!
Then back on the bus, and back to Yi Zhong!  Best trip ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers