Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fireworks, Yuelu Mountain, Scooters and a Chinese Teacher!

First of all I was hit by a scooter!  on Saturday October 8th!  I was crossing Qingshuitang road, didn't look both ways hear a guy yell, I stepped back and he ran over my foot.  He screeched to a halt and turned to yell at me.  But I started saying "Duibuqi!"  He rushed to reassure me, and went on his merry way.  This reminds me of high school, someone would bump into me and I would say "Sorry".  But regardless I was ok and continued on my way.

So it was beautiful on Saturday, just gorgeous.  I spent the whole morning working on lesson plans and visual aids, so I figured I needed a break.  I invited people to climb Yuelu mountain with me.  Everyone was really busy!  So I hopped on a bus and went to the mountain my self.  This is my second time at Yuelu mountain.  I still haven't found any of the cool temples that are on it, but it is beautiful.  It was fun to hike it, and watch people staring at me as I huffed it up the mountain.  The leaves are starting to change it was quite beautiful.  Half way through I realized I was taking pictures of trees that I want to send to my father to have him id them.  Not knowing the local flora and fauna is weird and off putting.  The hike is paved the entire way, like most hikes in China.  But there are off cuts here and there were you can see more of the mountain.  There is also opportunities for LPT (Lazy person Travel) a chair lift and a bus that brings people up to the top of the mountain!  That being said, once you get off the main road it is easy to find a spot to be alone and relax.  I might bring my sketch book and my pencils.  I haven't tried to sketch landscapes before.

So after the mountain I met up with Maureen and Courtney!  We went to a restaurant and ordered something I just learned how to order.  Chaomian!  (Fried Noodles)  rou si chao mian!  (Pork fried noodles) 肉丝炒面!  Oh so delicious!  Then to the 5th tone (a coffee shop near the mountain), I got a chai latte, it wasn't very good.  Then to the river front and a fireworks show.  The "Hooray for Saturday" fireworks show!  Every Saturday they put on a show that shames our piddly little 4th of july fireworks!  The fireworks were amazing, I was about to buy a lantern then I realized that we didn't have enough people to send up the lantern and document.  So that idea fell by the way side!

Monday was Teresa's birthday.  Teresa is our Field Director.  She has been so helpful, and kind.  We went to a place called "O'Malley's" where you can get a huge burger!  Seriously finishing one of those was tough!  Her party was really fun and gave me one of those "look at all the nice people I have met in China" moments!  I want to thank Teresa for making my adjustment to China so simple and awesome!
Me and Teresa!
Then the best thing ever happened last night (Tuesday October 11)!  I have a Chinese Teacher now!  Twice a week I will go to her office and study Chinese for an hour.  I am inspired, I have started making flashcards of words that I learn.  Today I learned Shanzhu (Mangosteen)!  Now can I figure out how to eat a shanzhu? 怎么吃山竹?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers