Thursday, February 16, 2012

Laos Encounters

I want to back track and talk about an interesting person I met.  I was walking around the COPE center and learning about UXO's(Un-Exploded Ordinances) and what it is that COPE does.  If you don't know you should look it up.  It is a center that gives prosthetic legs and arms to victims of UXO's.  While I was walking around I couldn't help but hear the beach boys being played from a computer.  A western man was introducing a young Lao man to the Beach Boys.  It was my song "California Girls."  So I clearly had to go over and say hello.  As I walked up I became aware that the Lao man did not have hands, and was blind.  I introduced myself and hung out while they played music.  Then I wandered off to give them time alone.  Then I went back and talked to this man.

His name was Peter Kim, he is my brother's age.  I felt like I had been kicked in the chest when I thought of that.  What if something like this happened to my brother?  What if I lived in a country where my brother wasn't safe walking around, what if he could come across unexploded bombs?  How would that change how I live my life?  Peter seemed pretty optimistic about his life.  He was a break dancer.  He showed me a clip, and then teased me that I didn't believe him.  Which I totally did.  Now as I sit here remembering him, I am sad that I copied his e-mail down incorrectly.  I wish I could wish him happy birthday.  If by some reason he managed to find this, Happy Late Birthday man!  You changed my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers